Monday, July 28, 2008

Monday Meditation

I really don't pay a lot of attention to all the imperfections in my home until I start to clean. Suddenly it begins to become painfully aware how many things are broken and worn out. The pedal on the trash can, the vacuum cleaner taped together, the broken window, the couches painfully in need of an upholstery job, etc. etc. Thoughts can run rampant and this mother of many can end up easily becoming depressed.

Last week we were getting ready to have a few folks over for dinner and if you have a larger than "normal" family like we do a few families quickly adds up to about fifty people. Right inside our front door is a door mat given to us by a very special family last year for Christmas. The inscription reads: "As for me and my house we will serve the Lord".

While getting ready for company and staring at the rug I was trying to decide is it too worn out, should I put it up before our company comes? Then it dawned on me the reason why it was "worn out"- feet passing in and out. That's it -we're here to be used- our homes, our possessions, our lives given for the glory and service of Christ.

Worn out or just coming into season-how's it with you?

2 comments:

Helen Ruth said...

What a great post. I too am reflecting on my home this morning. Today is MONDAY and it's time to get busy with another week of cleaning, gardening, sewing, and home schooling.

In all honesty, I'm more comfortable when a person's door mat is WORN. An old worn couch that needs to be upholstered, and a coffee table laden with books, old socks, and mismatched items are a WELCOME site. It is only when I enter a "museum" that I become UNCOMFORTABLE --- I'm afraid to touch or to relax. I want people to be normal like MY family ;-)

What a great way to start our day on finding appreciation in the little things.

By the way, I've saved your blog to return on your recipes and tips.

Well, chores beckon! God bless!

Jane said...

Texas mom-
Thanks for the encouragement!! Blessings, Jane