Thursday, January 7, 2010

Cooking beans, chicken, soups, rice......




Here's my thinking - since we are heating with the wood burning stove let's use the heat as productively as possible. In years gone by we have kept a kettle of hot water on the stove to help humidify the air. Why it didn't dawn on me before now to cook ahead I don't know.
It has been really cold here and we have kept a fire going just about all day. Each morning I put a big pot of something (sometimes several pots :)) on and let it cook away. I'm cooking food that we may not eat for several months, but since we have a large freezer, that I'm running anyway, I might as well fill it up. Also, it is wonderful to have an endless supply of hot water.
The watering can to the left of the stove is keep water warm for the animals. We hope you are staying warm and not spending a fortune for your heat.

No comments: