Wednesday, June 25, 2008

What Will You Be Doing In Six Months?


I know you want to kill me for bringing up- that holiday. If you are like me you probably feel like you've just barely recovered from last Christmas. Well, what I want to suggest is not hyper intense planning, just maybe, well a little- thinking.

I just can't get into the Christmas spirit until after Thanksgiving. I really don't want to run over Thanksgiving so I intentionally wait until after taking time out to be thankful before rushing into another holiday. This brings with it a dilemma - there is no way to get everything done that I always want to do in just 4 short weeks.

What's the solution? If I can do a little advance planning in this case thinking I can be way ahead of the game come the end of November. This is how it works- make a list of the people you typically purchase a gift for. Review that list and see if you need to add or delete anyone. Then begin to take a few notes or observations on that person- how has their life changed within the last year?, any new interests/hobbies?, what colors do they decorate in?, how old are they?, what have they purchased recently that you could add an accessory to?, etc. If you don't know the answer to some of these questions find someone who does. Summer time get together s are a great time to reconnect with folks you may not see on a regular basis.

I've found that most of my pre-holiday energies get consumed not in "doing", but in deliberating over finding that perfect gift. With a little advance thinking and under cover detective work you can have a ready made list of gift ideas. Whether you go ahead and purchase the gift is up to you.
Whatever you do- Have a Holly Jolly....Summer!!

No comments: